Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Creative Lesson - Poetry

I don't think the lesson is considered creative, but it was interactive as it generated discussion from the Sec 2 NA classes, and I enjoyed teaching it.

The poem I used was Grace Chua's "Letter From Home" which can be taken from http://210.193.6.218/story.asp?id=95 . Having the context of the poem in mind,  I started the lesson by asking the students, if they could pack up and leave the country alone tomorrow, to study in a different country, would they? The replies I got were mostly Yes (for obvious reasons?), and they were very enthusiastic to share the countries of their choices - Paris, London, USA, Japan... Asking the students why they would choose to leave, elicited even more responses.

The discussion really kickstarted the class and I did not hear any complains when I handed out the poem, and told them to keep what they said in mind. The discussion I carried out with the class focused on the themes and the mother's emotions. At the end of the class, I checked back with the students by asking them how would they feel if they had receive such a letter from their mothers while they were away, and what would they do. While most of them said they would Skype, email or write their mothers, there were a few (even the boys) who said they would cry or even come back home. It was very endearing. I think both the students and I enjoyed the lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment