Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A creative lesson plan

I do not know if this was very creative but I personally liked this lesson plan because of the amazing work given by the students. It really made me laugh and smile.

The main aim of the lesson was for the students to realise that poems create an image and it was to break their fear of looking at all the words. This lesson was for Secondary two Normal Academic students. The theme of the poems chosen was on saving the environment. Hence, I started the lesson by showing them the climax of Lorax. Once I showed them the video, I elicited what the message was from the students. Once they managed to point out “Saving the environment”, I introduced the first poem, “The Day the Bulldozers Came”. I picked a student to read a stanza and I showed them an image of what the stanza was about. I repeated this process with stanza two and three. Hence, the students got an idea on what it meant by the poem trying to depict an image.

Then to develop the lesson, I introduced the second poem, “In Defence of Hedgehogs”. Students were to get into groups of four and I allocated one stanza per group. There were five stanzas and ten groups. Each group had to draw out the image(s) of their allocated stanza. After giving them about 15 minutes, I collected back all the drawings and we went through the poem as a class. We read each stanza and I would show the pictures drawn for that particular stanza. This way all their work was seen by the classmates and it was also a way for me to provide feedback.  At the end of it, we put up the pictures to look like a comic strip. The best thing about this lesson plan was seeing all the creative ways in which they depicted the image(s) in their stanza.  At the end of it, the students understood the poem and also realised that it was not that hard.

1 comment:

  1. "At the end of it, the students understood the poem and also realised that it was not that hard." what more would we want? a lesson that makes you laugh and smile :)

    ReplyDelete